A Guide To Claiming For A One-Way Street Accident

Have you been involved in a one-way street accident on the road as the result of negligence? If so, you might be able to make a road traffic accident claim. Road users owe one another a duty of care, and if they fail to fulfil this, resulting in injury, you could be owed compensation. A breach of duty of care that causes injury is referred to as negligence. 

One-way street accident

One-way street accident claims guide

This guide will examine key aspects of the personal injury claim process, for instance, how long you have to start your claim and how you can prove that you were injured by negligence. In addition to this, we will look at how much compensation you could be owed in the event of a successful claim. 

Furthermore, we will explore the benefits of No Win No Fee solicitors and how working with one could strengthen your case. You can also speak with our team of advisors, who can answer any specific questions you may have. 

To get in touch: 

    • Call us on 0161 696 9685
    • Contact us by filling in our online form
    • Speak to us via our live chat feature on the page

Choose A Section

  1. What Is A One-Way Street Accident Claim?
  2. Could I Claim For An Accident On A One-Way Street?
  3. How To Prove Your One-Way Street Accident Claim
  4. Payout Estimates For One-Way Street Accident Claims
  5. How Do No Win No Fee Road Accident Claims Work?
  6. Where To Read More About Road Traffic Accident Claims

What Is A One-Way Street Accident Claim?

A one-way street is one that only allows traffic to travel in one direction. If you are involved in a one-way street accident, this may lead to a claim. As previously stated, the incident must be caused by another road user breaching their duty of care.  

The duty of care that road users must adhere to is outlined by the Road Traffic Act 1988. Furthermore, the Highway Code outlines rules, guidelines, advice and information for road users. Together they outline the safety measures that all road users must take to ensure the safety of themselves and others on the road. 

To be able to claim, you must have been injured by another road user breaching their duty of care. Therefore, if you are at fault for the incident or you cannot prove who is responsible for the accident, you may not be able to claim. 

Speak with a member of our team to find out more about the process of claiming compensation.

Could I Claim For An Accident On A One-Way Street?

Below, we have included some examples of accidents on the road that could lead to you being injured: 

  • Another road user fails to realise that they have turned the wrong way down a one-way road. As a result, you suffer a neck injury in a head-on collision. 
  • The car behind you fails to stop in time as you come to a stop at a junction. Consequently, they rear-end you, and you endure a head injury
  • Despite their only being one lane, another road user attempts an overtake. Subsequently, they collide with the side of your vehicle, and you sustain a wrist injury and a burn to the hand when the airbag deploys

If you would like to find out whether you have a valid one-way street accident claim, please get in touch with a member of our team.

For more details in regard to road traffic accident claims, please contact an advisor from our team.

Road Traffic Accident Claim Time Limits

If you are injured in a one-way accident due to another driver’s negligence, you generally have 3 years to begin the claims process. This is established in the Limitation Act 1980.  This time limit could start from the date of the accident or when you connected your injuries to the breach of duty of care. 

However, if the injured party was under the age of 18 when the accident occurred, or they lack the mental capacity to claim, the time limit will be suspended. Under these circumstances, the time limit may begin from their 18th birthday or in the event that the mental capacity to claim is regained. 

While the limit is suspended, they could have a litigation friend claim for them. This is a trusted adult over the age of 18 who acts in their best interests. 

If you want to discover whether you qualify to be a litigation friend, please contact an advisor from our team. 

How To Prove Your One-Way Street Accident Claim

Gathering evidence is very important in building a successful claim. After being injured in an accident, you should seek medical attention. Not only does this allow you to be treated for any injuries you have sustained, but it also forms medical records that can be used as evidence. 

You could also: 

  • Gather the contact details of any witnesses 
  • Acquire CCTV footage of the incident 
  • Log a diary of your physical and mental injuries as well as their impact on your quality of life 
  • Keep a record of any financial losses sustained 

An advisor from our team can provide more details in terms of the evidence you can gather to support your one-way street accident claim if you get in touch. 

Payout Estimates For One-Way Street Accident Claims

The road traffic accident compensation that will be awarded for a successful claim may be split into two heads. General damages look to compensate you for any physical or mental pain and suffering that is caused by your injuries.

We have drafted a table using compensation amounts from the Judicial College Guidelines (JCG). The JCG is a document that is used by legal professionals to assist them when they value claims. 

However, these amounts are only included as guidance. This is because every personal injury claim is different, and these figures are not guaranteed. 

Body PartSeverityCompensation BracketDetails
HeadVery severe£282,010 to £403,990 There might be some ability to follow basic commands and recovery to allow eye opening, the return of sleep and waking patterns and postural reflex movement.
LegAmputation £240,790 to £282,010Loss of both legs above the knee.
HandLoss of both hands £140,660 to £201,490The total or effective loss of both hands due to extensive damage which leave them little more than useless.
BackSevere (i)£91,090 to £160,980The most severe of injuries including damage to the spinal cord and nerve roots that cause major consequences not often found in back injury cases.
FootAmputation£83,960 to £109,650The amputation of one foot which includes the loss of the ankle joint.
Ankle Very severe £50,060 to £69,700Limited and unusual injuries, such as a transmalleolar fracture.
Elbow Severe £39,170 to £54,830A severely disabling injury.
Arm Less severe £19,200 to £39,170Despite considerable injuries being suffered, a substantial degree of recovery has taken place or is expected to.
WhiplashOne or more whiplash injuries £4,215Persisting over an 18-24 month time period.
WhiplashOne or more whiplash injuries with one or more minor mental injuries£3,100Persisting over 15-18 months.

Can Victims Of Road Accidents Claim For Special Damages?

Special damages seek to reimburse you for any financial losses that are incurred as a result of your injuries. This head of claim accounts for areas such as: 

  • Loss of earnings 
  • Home adaptations 
  • Care costs 
  • Medical expenses 
  • Travel costs 

If you would like more details as to how much compensation for a one-way street accident you could be owed, get in touch. 

 The Whiplash Reform Program

Claims for whiplash injuries must be made differently in accordance with the Whiplash Reform Programme. These rules state that any driver or passenger over the age of 18 must claim via the government’s Official Injury Portal if they suffer a whiplash or soft tissue injury worth £5,000 or under. 

Under these new guidelines, these claims will be valued in line with the Whiplash Injury Regulations 2021, which includes a tariff of set amounts. It must be stated that even if your claim is not made through the government’s official portal, it may still be valued in line with the tariff. 

If your injuries are valued above £5,000, you will not be required to claim via the portal. However, any lower-valued injuries to which this Program apply If you have any questions surrounding the Whiplash Reform Programme, please do not hesitate to get in touch. 

How Do No Win No Fee Road Accident Claims Work?

A road traffic accident solicitor from our panel can use their years of experience to cover all bases of your claim. Not only could this make the process much easier for you, but it could also strengthen your case’s chance of winning. 

They generally operate on a No Win No Fee basis and could offer you a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA). Being represented via a CFA means that you are only required to pay your solicitor if your claim is won. Furthermore, you won’t have to pay for the work they’ve done if your claim is lost. 

However, if your claim is a success, you will have to pay your solicitor a capped-by-law success fee, which will be deducted from your payout by your solicitor. This ensures that you receive the majority of your compensation. 

Please do not hesitate to speak with our advisors to see if you are able to be represented on this basis when making a one-way street accident claim. 

How To Contact Our Team

Our advisors are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to offer you free legal advice. If you would like to find out whether you have a valid road traffic accident claim, please get in touch: 

  • Call us on 0161 696 9685
  • Contact us by filling in our online form
  • Speak to us via our live chat feature on the page

Where To Read More About Road Traffic Accident Claims

Here are more of our own guides that you might find useful: 

We have also included additional reading related to road incidents:

Thank you for reading this guide on how to claim if you have been injured in a one-way street accident.

Written by BP

Edited by FS