I Was Run Over By A Vehicle, How Do I Claim Compensation?

By Danielle Graves. Last Updated 9th October 2023. Have you been run over by a vehicle and suffered serious injuries, due to negligence on the part of the driver? You may be able to claim compensation for the injuries suffered. Whether you were a pedestrian who was run over, a cyclist who was run over, you were run over by a car, run over by a lorry, or run over in any other type of road traffic accident due to negligence on the part of the driver, you may be entitled to claim compensation if you are injured.

compensation for being run over

Claiming compensation after being run over

How much compensation do you get if you are injured by being run over by a car, or another vehicle? This depends on the type of injuries you have sustained and the severity of your injuries. However, if you make a successful compensation claim, you will receive funds to compensate you for the pain, suffering and loss of amenity that you have endured as a result of your injuries.

To begin your compensation claim for being run over, call Legal Helpline today on 0161 696 9685. One of our advisors will be happy to speak to you in-depth about your accident and if we can see that you have legitimate grounds to claim compensation, a skilled personal injury solicitor could guide you through the claims process. They will be able to start working on your compensation claim as soon as possible. Alternatively, use our online claims form to reach us. Get in touch with us about pedestrian accident claims today, we’re looking forward to hearing from you.

Jump To A Section

  1. I Was Run Over By A Vehicle, Can I Claim?
  2. Physical Injuries Which Could Be Caused By Being Ran Over By A Car
  3. Being Run Over As A Cyclist
  4. Ran Over By A Car – Hit And Run Accidents
  5. Deaths Caused By Being Run Over
  6. I Was Hit By A Car – What Compensation Could I Receive?
  7. No Win No Fee Claims For Being Run Over
  8. Useful Resources

I Was Run Over By A Vehicle, Can I Claim?

When using the roads, all road users, including pedestrians, owe each other a duty of care to navigate them in a way that prevents injury and damage to themselves and others. As part of this duty, road users are required to comply with any relevant rules and regulations found in the Highway Code as well as the Road Traffic Act 1988. If you would like to seek compensation for a hit and run, you must be able to satisfy the eligibility requirements.

This means that to be eligible to make a personal injury claim, you need to prove that:

  •       You were owed a duty of care.
  •       This duty was breached.
  •       As a result of this breach, you suffered injuries.

Rule 204 in the Highway Code states that those who can cause the greatest harm have the greatest responsibility to reduce the danger or threat they pose to others. This means that vehicle drivers must take extra care around more vulnerable road users, such as pedestrians.

Rules 205-210 emphasise how drivers should behave around pedestrians. If you suffer injuries because a driver has broken one of these rules and ran over you, you could be eligible for compensation.

However, rules 1-35 in the Highway Code state how pedestrians should use the roads. This includes rules about the right of way at junctions and when crossing the roads. If you fail to adhere to these rules and suffer an injury, you might not be eligible for compensation.

Speak to an advisor from our team to find out if you are eligible to make a car accident claim.

Physical Injuries Which Could Be Caused By Being Ran Over By A Car

Unfortunately getting run over can cause life-changing injuries, or result in the person’s death. We will look at these sorts of injuries in more detail now.

  1. Foot and leg injuries: When a person is run over, the car tyres sometimes go over their foot or their leg. Will your foot break if a car runs over it? Not always, but having your leg or foot run over can cause a fractured or broken foot, fractured or broken leg injury. Does getting your foot run over hurt? Whatever sort of injuries you suffer as a result of getting your foot run over, it is a painful experience.
  2. Back injuries: Road traffic accidents can potentially cause spinal injuries. If a cyclist or pedestrian is injured suffers a broken back as a result of being run over and their spinal cord is damaged, this could result in them being permanently paralysed from the waist down or neck down.
  3. Head injuries: If the injured person suffers a traumatic head injury, this can have a lifelong effect. A severe brain injury can affect people mentally, behaviorally, affect one’s memory and affect their motor skills. Brake reports that 40% to 50% are caused by road traffic collisions in Britain.
  4. Limb loss: If a person suffers a severe limb, or lower limb injury, for example where the limb is crushed, they may have to have the limb partially or fully amputated. This can cause excessive pain and have a detrimental effect on a person’s quality of life.

These are just a few examples of the types of injuries you could experience if you are run over by a vehicle. Contact our advisors today to learn more about what injuries claimants could be compensated for through pedestrian accident compensation claims.

Being Run Over As A Cyclist

How can accidents happen in which a cyclist is run over? Here are some examples:

  • A driver does not check their side mirror when they make a right or left-hand turn and runs over a cyclist or motorbike rider in the process.
  • A driver does not check their mirror when changing lanes and hits a cyclist who is already there, running them over.
  • A driver reverses out of a driveway, onto the pavement then the road, without checking their rearview mirror for cyclists or pedestrians.
  • A driver performs an unsafe manoeuvre in the middle of the road, hitting a cyclist.

Ran Over By A Car – Hit And Run Accidents

When a motor vehicle is involved in a collision or road traffic accident, they are required by law to pull over in a safe space, give their name, car registration number and any other relevant information. A hit and run are when the driver does not stop and instead, speeds away. This may be because they are uninsured, or because they are trying to avoid prosecution. If you are involved in a hit and run accident, you should report it to the police.

If you were run over in a hit and run accident by an uninsured driver, or the driver was never traced, you may make a pedestrian accident claim through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). The MIB is funded by motor insurance companies and pays out to claimants who have been injured by an uninsured or untraced driver. Personal injury solicitors can negotiate with the MIB on your behalf when you make your compensation claim for being run over.

Hit And Run Compensation

As stated above, if you have been injured when you were ran over by a car and the driver is untraceable, your claim will be made through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

When you are claiming through the MIB, your claim should be submitted as soon as possible. If you make a claim for compensation for a hit and run through the MIB they may ask for medical records as well as other supporting evidence. In addition, you may have to obtain an independent medical assessment report.

Once your pedestrian injury claim is received, they will investigate to establish the facts. This may involve obtaining a police report or contacting witnesses. You can appoint a solicitor at any time during the MIB claiming process to support your hit and run claim, even if you have already started.

Our advisors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help you. All our legal advice is free. If you need any help with your MIB claim, please get in touch using the contact information at the top of the screen.

Deaths Caused By Being Run Over

If you experienced a loss because a close relative was killed when they were run over by a vehicle, you may be entitled to claim compensation on their behalf, according to the Fatal Accidents Act 1976. Of course, no amount of compensation can replace your loved one, but by making a claim, you are holding the person at fault to account for their negligence and encouraging other drivers to act more responsibly on the roads.

I Was Hit By A Car – What Compensation Could I Receive?

If you make a successful personal injury claim for harm sustained after being run over by a car, you will be awarded compensation to cover the emotional pain and physical suffering caused by your injury. This is awarded under general damages.

Solicitors can use compensation amounts featured in the 16th edition of the Judicial College Guidelines (JCG) to help them value general damages. We have included some of these in the table below. However, the amounts listed in the JCG are guideline brackets and are not guaranteed amounts. As such, you should only use them as a guide. Please also note that the first entry in this table is an estimated figure for multiple injuries and is not taken from the JCG.

Injury Suffered And SeverityNotesCompensation Bracket
Multiple Serious Injuries Plus Special DamagesIf you suffer multiple serious injuries in a road traffic accident, then you may receive a compensation payout covering all of these plus related special damages, such as loss of earnings.Up to £1,000,000+
Very Severe Head InjuryThe victim will be showing little or no response to the surrounding environment. There will also be little or no language function and full-time nursing care will be required.£282,010 to £403,990
Moderate Head Injury (ii)Head injury affecting a person's mind and ability to work. Moderate to modest intellectual deficit.£90,720 to £150,110
Severe Back Injury; (ii)With effects to a person's mobility and bowels£74,160 to £88,430
Severe Back Injury; (iii)Fractures and tissue injuries resulting in chronic pain£38,780 to £69,730
Leg Amputations: (iii)Above the knee amputation of a single leg£104,830 to £137,470
Severe Leg Injury: (i)Severe leg injuries such as non-healing fractures£96,250 to £135,920
Severe Leg Injury: (iii)Open fracture with a heavy possibility of future arthritis£39,200 to £54,830
Severe Knee Injury: (ii)Fracture extending to the knee, leaving the joint vulnerable to future deterioration£52,120 to £69,730
Moderate Foot InjuryDisplaced fracture resulting in long term cosmetic and functional damage£13,740 to £24,990

Special Damages

After getting run over, you might incur financial expenses or losses as a result of your injuries. You could claim back these losses under special damages, another head of claim that can form part of your settlement following a successful claim. 

Examples of the financial losses you might incur following a car accident, include:

  • Travel expenses – For example, money spent on travel to and from your GP or hospital.
  • Medical fees – You may need to pay for a prescription as part of the treatment for your injuries.
  • A loss of earnings – Your earnings may be affected if your injury results in you taking time off work to recover.

You may be able to claim the above under special damages. However, you must provide evidence of any financial impact you have experienced. For example, you could gather your wage slips, receipts or invoices to prove these losses. 

Speak to our advisors if you would like more information on whether you can claim after being hit by a car and the pedestrian car accident compensation you could be awarded if your case succeeds.

Pedestrian accident claims

Advice for pedestrian accident claims

No Win No Fee Claims For Being Run Over

If you have been injured after being ran over by a car, you may benefit from working with a personal injury solicitor from our panel. They can offer their services on a No Win No Fee basis. This means that, through a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA), you can access the services of a solicitor without paying any upfront fees.

If your claim succeeds, then your solicitor will take a small percentage of your compensation as their success fee. This percentage is capped by legislation, allowing you to keep the majority share of what you receive. However, if your personal injury claim for being run over fails, then you will not pay this fee.

Contact our team of advisors today to learn more about claiming on a No Win No Fee basis for being run over by a car. Claims can seem complex, but a solicitor from our panel may be able to help, provided your case is valid.

Contact Us Today

To begin your compensation claim for being run over by a vehicle, call Legal Helpline today on 0161 696 9685 to speak to an advisor. Alternatively, use our online claims form to reach us. If we can see that you are owed compensation, a solicitor will start working on your claim as soon as possible.

Useful Resources

For more advice on pedestrian and car accident claims, or to read advice on other types of personal injury claims, you can check out other guides on our website such as the ones below.

External Resources

Thank you for reading our guide on what to do if you have been ran over by a car and injured.