How Much Compensation Can I Claim for a Road Traffic Accident?

Request a free call back and get free advice!

On this page, you will find a full and detailed guide to making road traffic accident claims for injuries you have sustained in a car, motorcycle or bicycle accident. It is aimed at educating people who have been the victims of a car crash, or other accident on the road, in how to best go about making a claim for compensation, with the best chance of succeeding.

Legal Helpline is a Claims Management Company. We work with a panel of solicitors, some of whom have as much as 30-years’ experience in helping people claim compensation payments for vehicle accidents including cars, motorcycle, and bicycles. As well as helping people to claim for compensation due to injuries sustained in a car crash, we can also assist with road traffic accidents which happened while travelling on public transport, such as taxis, buses, minibuses, etc.

You can contact us on 0161 696 9685 and we will talk you through the process of making a road traffic accident claim, and outline our No Win No Fee personal injury claims service.

Jump to a Section:

A Guide To Road Traffic And Car Accident Claims

This full and detailed guide to making road traffic accident claims will assist anyone who has been the victim of such an accident to successfully make a compensation claim for personal injury. We aim to pass on our wealth of experience to help accident victims receive the compensation they deserve.



One important difference when making a compensation claim for an injury sustained in a car crash, rather than another type of accident, is in the fact that road traffic accidents fall under the remit of the Road Traffic Act. This is a set of legislation which governs these types of accident, and directly attributes equal rights to all road users, whether they are a car or a pedestrian. It also gives both drivers and passengers equal rights.

In this guide, you will find plenty of road traffic accident advice, and a full description of the road traffic accident claims process. It contains information such as:

  • Information on key statistics pertaining to car crash s and health and safety in the UK. Including an explanation of how the UK Police have begun to change the way, they report road traffic accidents.
  • Details of the types of claims that are most common following a car crash. Including the most common serious injuries, and also the most common ways that road traffic accidents are caused.
  • The steps you should take if you have been involved in a car crash, to make sure you have the best chance possible of winning compensation. These are simple, logical, simple steps that will maximise your chance of success.
  • How to go about starting your claim for compensation following a road traffic accident. This covers how to begin making a claim using our national road traffic accident claims service.
  • Advice on gathering evidence to be used in support of your car crash In many cases, there will be a legal requirement to prove irrefutably that a single party was responsible for causing the accident. You may need to provide evidence in order to strengthen your case.
  • General information on the amount you might be able to claim for an injury following a road traffic accident, including a table of typical compensation amounts.
  • Details on why you should choose Accident Clams Advice to make a road traffic accident claim on your behalf, as well as an introduction to our No Win No Fee car crash claims service.

If you have any questions about the No Win No fee claims service we offer here at Legal Helpline, or wish to know more, then please call us at the number to be found at the bottom of this page.

Road Traffic Accident and Safety Statistics

Of all the types of accident claims, we make on behalf of our clients, car accident claims are by far the most common. In fact, road traffic accidents are the most common type of accident across the UK every year.

road-traffic-accident-claim statistics

road-traffic-accident-claim statistics

As can be seen from the graph, which is based on UK Government statistics for road traffic accidents in 2016, that the number of casualties caused by road traffic accidents is still on the rise.

Privately owned cars are the most common type of vehicle involved in road traffic accidents. Although most accidents happen in urban areas, the more serious, fatal accidents tend to occur in rural areas on unlighted country roads. 91% of all fatalities on rural roads occur in road traffic accidents that are on unlit sections of road.

When looking at statistic pertaining to road traffic accidents in the UK, it is important to understand that in 2016, most police forces across the UK changed the process they use for reporting road traffic accidents. This is the main reason why 2016 accident statistics seem to have risen so much, so quickly.

If you have been the victim of a car crash either in the city or in a rural area, call Legal Helpline on the number at the bottom of this page to begin your claim today.

Car and Vehicle Accident Claims

Before you can use an automated tool such as an online to get a car accident compensation claim calculator general idea of how much compensation for road accident victims you might claim, you need to understand the different types of injuries that people involved in a road traffic accident sustain. The most common injuries people suffer in a car crash are:

  • Whiplash and other neck related injuries.
  • Head and brain injuries.
  • Injuries to the back, spine or spinal chord.
  • Injuries to the face.
  • Injuries to internal organs caused by trauma.

This is, of course, not a definitive list, but it is a list of the most common serious injuries people tend to sustain in a road traffic accident.

People who are involved in road traffic accidents often suffer from psychological issues, such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, which can lead to further problems such as anxiety and depression. If you have suffered psychological damage due to a car crash, it is vital that the  Claims Management Company and solicitor you choose to make your claim, fully understands just how serious these mental conditions can be.

The reasons for a road traffic accident happening are wide-ranging. However, some reasons are far more common than others, and these include:

  • Driver negligence- including eating, drinking, or using a phone while driving. It also covers driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Bad weather – including heavy rain, snow, ice and fog.
  • Reckless driving – such as ignoring road signs, not obeying the safety rules of the road, speeding and any other act of driving that is deemed unsafe.
  • Bad roads – insufficient drainage, badly maintained road surfaces, potholes and poor signage can all cause road traffic accidents.
  • Faulty vehicles – either through a random equipment failure or insufficient maintenance.

This is not a definitive list of all the reasons that a car crash can occur, there are many more, but these are the most common. No matter the reason your road traffic accident occurred, Legal Helpline can help you, call the number at the bottom of this page to find out how.

What to Do After A Road Traffic Accident

When we look at the average compensation for road traffic accident claims, one trend we have seen is it is the people who are most prepared to make their claim, who tend to win more in compensation. And of course, every claim has to be made within the road accident claim time limit. Below you will find a number of steps you can take after your accident, to make sure you have the best chance possible of making a successful claim for an injury sustained in a car crash:

  • Make sure you inform the police – even if they do not visit the scene of the accident. It is important that the incident is recorded by the police, as proof that the accident happened, and to keep an official record of what happened.
  • Get proper professional medical treatment – even if you believe you only have minor injuries. The National Health Service will record the injuries you have treated on your medical record, which can be used as evidence later in the claim.
  • Get witness details – including their name, telephone number and address. If your claim is a complex one, you may need to call on the testimony of witnesses to help make your claim.
  • Take photographs – of all of the vehicles that are involved in the accident, including their licence plates, and also the site of the accident.

Take steps such as those outlined above will give you the best chance possible of making a compensation claim for an injury sustained in a road traffic accident. Call our vehicle accident claims service today to begin your claim, our phone number can be found at the bottom of this page.

The Process of Making a Road Accident Claim

The process of making a compensation claim due to an injury sustained in a car crash is fairly straightforward. Many people begin by using an online road traffic accident compensation calculator to get a rough idea of how much they might be able to claim. This is not an entirely accurate guide to car accident claim payouts, but it is a good place to start.

Under current road traffic accident and personal injury claim law, you only have three years in which to make a compensation claim following a car crash. Therefore, it is important that you begin your claim as soon as possible. So, you now need to find a Claims Management Service and solicitor.

Your solicitor will assist you in working out exactly what you are going to claim for, and what type of damages apply in your case. For example:

General damages – pertaining to the actual physical pain and suffering of the injuries that you have sustained during a road traffic accident.

Special damages – pertaining to all of the non-physical aspects of your injuries such as loss of earnings, medical expenses, travel costs, etc.

Legal Helpline can provide a solicitor as part of our No Win No Fee car crash claims service. Call us at the number at the bottom of this page to find out more.

How to Make A Road Traffic Accident Claim

If you have suffered an injury as the victim of a road traffic accident, then Legal Helpline offers our national No Win No Fee claims service as the simplest way to start your claim. We have experience in claiming car crash compensation payouts on behalf of our clients.

When you call us at Legal Helpline, we will spend some time on fact-finding. We will ask you questions so that we can learn just how your car crash happened, so that we can work out how best to help you. We will ask questions such as:

  • Where did the accident happen, and at what time of day?
  • How many vehicles were involved, and which of them caused the accident?
  • What injuries did you sustain in the accident?
  • Were there any witnesses to the accident?
  • Have you suffered any financial loss due to the accident?
  • Does your doctor expect there to be any long-term negative health effect due to the injuries sustained in the accident?

These questions and more will help us decide what you should do next. Once we have all these facts, we will likely recommend that you use our national road traffic accident claims service to win you the compensation you are eligible for in the simplest, most financially risk-free way.

The Importance of Evidence in Road Traffic Accident Claims

In order for courts to decide on car accident compensation amounts, they may call for evidence. This evidence can come in several forms, for example:

  • Medical evidence – to support your claim and prove your injuries. You may also need to get a third-party opinion to submit as evidence.
  • Financial evidence – to prove financial losses such as loss of earnings.
  • Photographic evidence – to prove the events of the accident and damage to vehicles etc.
  • Video evidence – of CCTV footage is available, it can be used to evaluate how the accident happened.

Legal Helpline can help you in arranging all of this evidence if required, call us on the number at the bottom of this page so we can assist you.

How Much Can I Claim Road Traffic Accident?

If you want to find out the average compensation for back injury car accident, you could join a car accident compensation amounts forum and ask its members. However, every accident is different, as are the injuries that the victim sustains. There is a myriad of drivers which affect the final compensation payout. Below we have included a table which shows the typical amounts we see car crash victims claim:

Type of InjuryAmmountDescription
Minor back injury£350 - £9,850Simple bruising and sprains
Moderate back injury£8,750 - £30,750Loss of imobility with some pain
Severe back injury£29,750 - £123,300Long-term loss of mobility and potentially paralysis
Minor shoulder injury£350 - £6,700Short-tem immobility
Moderate shoulder injury£6,250 - £9,750Long-term immobilty of one or both shoulders
Severe shoulder injury£9,500 - £37,000Long-term immobilty of one or both arms
Minor head injury£1,500 - £9,500Minor injury with full recovery
Moderate head injury£12,500 - £200,000Some affect on mental abilities
Severe head injury£214,350 - £307,000Severe affect on quality of life
Minor neck injury£1,800 - £6,200Simple bruising and sprains
Moderate neck injury£29,600 - £42,300Long-term loss of mobility and pain
Severe neck injury£35,500 - £112,450Long-term loss of mobility and potentially paralysis
Minor leg injury£1,800 - £17,900One or both legs fractured
Moderate leg injury£21,750 - £104,100Minor injuries to one or both legs
Severe leg injury£75,100 - £215,000Full or partial amputation of one or both legs
Less severe chest injuries£9,575 - £13,650Minor lung damage with full recovery
Severe chest injuries£76,500 - £114,100Long-term lung damage with protracted painful recovery

Each case is unique, and this table can only give a guide. For example, car accident claims whiplash payments vary very widely, depending on how severe the whiplash is, and how badly it has affected the life of the victim. For a much more accurate evaluation of how much compensation you can claim for an injury that you have sustained in a road traffic accident, call Legal Helpline on the number at the bottom of this page so that we can assist you.

No Win No Fee Road Traffic Accident Claims

Legal Helpline offers our No Win No Fee national road traffic accident claims service as the simplest way to make a compensation claim. This is a financially risk-free way to make such a claim.

Under this kind of Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA), you don’t need to pay anything up front for us to actually start making your claim. And no matter how long it takes to resolve your claim, we won’t charge you any ongoing legal fees. If for some reason, we cannot manage to make a compensation claim for you, then you won’t need to pay us anything at all.

In fact, the only time we will ask you to pay any fee at all, is when you actually receive a compensation payment. If you would like to know more about how our No Win No Fee deal works, then just give us a call on the number at the bottom of this page, and we will be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Why Choose Legal Helpline?

Legal Helpline has proven success in claiming for clients who have been the victim of accidents which were not their fault. Our team covers the whole of Great Britain, and we can assist anyone across the country to claim the compensation they are entitled to.

When we are managing your claim, we will always keep you fully up to date on what is happening and will always be available to answer any questions you may have. We will give these answers in simple English without using confusing complicated jargon.

We always do everything possible to make sure that you win the most compensation possible. But we will never do anything at all that could put your claim at risk.

Contact Our Team Today

Do you believe you have a viable reason to claim compensation for a personal injury that you sustained during a road traffic accident? Are you ready to move forward with making your claim? If you are, then call us now on 0161 696 9685. We will spend some time asking you about your accident, and once we know enough, we will recommend a course of action. For many people, this will be to use our national No Win No Fee road traffic accident claims service to make a claim on your behalf.

Useful Links

At the link below, you will find statistics published by the UK Government relating to road traffic accidents that took place in the UK in 2016. Although this is not the newest data, it is useful in the fact it clearly shows emerging road traffic accident trends:

UK Government statistics relating to road traffic accidents in the UK in 2016

At the link below, you will find details on the standard BMA charges for treating people who are involved in road traffic accidents. Most UK residents who suffer a road traffic accident probably don’t realise that private emergency treatment can be given if needed and that they will need to pay for this treatment, even if they did not give their consent:

BMA standard prices for emergency treatment following a road traffic accident

At the link below, you will find a portal to all UK Government data relating to road safety in the UK, for each year:

UK Government data on road traffic safety