Frequently asked questions for criminal injuries compensation

It is important for you to be aware of the key aspects of making a claim for criminal injuries compensation. Not having a full understanding of the topic could make the claims process harder than it needs to be. Therefore, we wish to help you and anyone else reading this who may wish to make a claim. And so here are some commonly asked questions about criminal injuries compensation.

Which body handles any cases for criminal injuries compensation?

The organisation in question is the CICA (Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority).

Who can make a claim for criminal injuries compensation?

Anyone who can prove that they’ve suffered an injury via a criminal injury could make a claim.

How much area does the CICA cover?

The CICA covers any criminal injuries that happen across England and Wales.

Is there a specific time limit for criminal injury claims to be made?

Yes. A victim must make a claim within 2 years of the original accident being reported.

Are there exceptions to this rule?

Yes. If the victim can present evidence supporting the need for an extension, this period could go beyond 2 years. There are also exceptions when it comes to extreme cases, such as historical sexual abuse.

Does the criteria differ depending on the victim’s circumstances?

This could be the case. For instance, a child under the age of 18 needs a third party to act as their litigation friend. And in that situation, it is the third party who makes the claim on behalf of the victim. In addition, if the victim lacks the mental capacity to claim (perhaps specifically because of the criminal act), a litigation friend could again play the necessary role. But if the child turns 18 or if the victim regains full mental capacity, then their 2-year windows begin akin to any other victims.

Find out more about criminal injuries compensation by exploring our website.